Berry Smith is on the National Procurement Service Legal Services Agreement enabling us to act for the Welsh Government, Welsh local authorities and other public sector organisations on commercial property matters.
Our specialist department is recommended by the Legal 500 as one of the leading commercial property teams based in Wales acting for “a broad range of clients” but with a focus on “real estate finance” and “development work”.
Chambers and Partners recognise that we are a “well-regarded practice” offering “personal attention” and being “very thorough” with “particular expertise in handling matters relating to commercial lending and development”.
We have the ability and expertise to understand all issues and commercial pressures affecting our clients, and can offer our clients a practical and bespoke commercial approach.
At the same time, we appreciate that on occasion our clients require advice on property issues and transactions of a more straightforward nature. Our team is of a sufficient size and experience to ensure that we offer a wide range of services at the right cost.
Ensuring that our clients’ interests are protected is our primary objective as they rely on us to orchestrate large and often complex property transactions. By working collaboratively, we are able to deliver an exceptional cost effective service.
We have a strong sense of pride in our ability to provide our clients with exemplary services and make it our business to gain a deep understanding of your business.
Our Commercial Property Department comprises two partners and a senior consultant who are leaders in their fields backed by a strong, and cohesive team which includes a very experienced group of associate solicitors so every client has access to a high level of expertise and knowledge.
Areas of Specialism
- Sale/Purchase of Freehold and Leasehold Property including conditional sale/purchase Contracts for development land with related overage provisions where necessary;
- Granting or taking of Commercial Leases for all types of property including office suites, industrial units and retail premises;
- Property Management transactions including Lease Renewals; Licences to Assign; Licences to Underlet; Rent Review Memoranda; drafting and serving of Section 25 and Section 40 Notices; drafting and serving of Schedules of Dilapidations;
- Compulsory Purchase Order acquisitions of freehold and leasehold properties.
- Acting in an office relocation for a Public Sector organisation including negotiating the surrender of their existing Lease with one Landlord and simultaneous negotiation and completion of their new Lease of a different property with a different Landlord.
- Acting for a local authority in the sale of development land to a residential house builder by way of a Sale Contract conditional on planning and with related overage provisions;
- Acting for a local authority on several Lease Renewals and new lettings in a multi-let office investment property;
- Acting for a Public Sector organisation in various Compulsory Purchase Order acquisitions for road widening purposes.
Public Sector / NPS Clients
- Cardiff Medicentre
- Carmarthenshire County Council
- Finance Wales
- HEFCW - Higher Education Funding Council for Wales
- Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council
- Merthyr Valleys Homes Limited
- Welsh Government