Partners and Senior Management
Sarah Alford is a Senior Associate and heads up the Employment and HR department.
Sarah joined Berry Smith in 2015 and has considerable experience in all Employment Law matters - both contentious and non-contentious. Sarah also holds a Master’s in Business Administration and has a vast amount of experience and expertise in working with CEOs, HR Directors, Finance Directors and their colleagues to deliver pragmatic, commercial solutions to their employment law and people-related challenges. Her clients range from public sector organisations to PLCs.
Sarah advises on all Employment Law aspects of corporate mergers and acquisitions, outsourcing, insolvency and business reorganisations (including changes to terms and collective redundancies).
She is the retained HR and employment law adviser to a range of businesses and advises on complex internal dispute resolution; senior executive terminations and sensitive discrimination matters. She represents many local businesses and senior employees in all forms of employment tribunal litigation, including constructive and unfair dismissal, whistle-blowing, discrimination and breach of contract claims.
Sarah is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association and regularly speaks and provides training on a range of Employment Law topics.
Sarah is personally cited in the Legal 500
- Day to day HR advice and strategic support
- Tribunal litigation
- Strategic workforce planning
- Internal dispute resolution
- Employment law training
- Business reorganisations and redundancy
- Transfer of employees
- Contract formulation and disputes
- Exits of senior executives, including related Director and Shareholders issues
- Retained Employment Law and HR advisor to South Wales Fire and Rescue Service, in addition to various other national and international companies;
- Advising global mechanical and electrical engineering group on changes to terms and conditions of employment;
- Assisted and advised the management of a pharmaceutical company on the employment related aspects of a deal worth £105 million;
- Successfully represented a head teacher in respect of allegations made against him to the Education Workforce Council of unacceptable professional conduct throughout a matter which included a 15 day hearing;
- Advising a department of Welsh Government on their obligations under TUPE;
- Advising a wholly owned subsidiary of Welsh Government on a range of HR issues and Employment Law issues;
- Advising various Welsh Government sponsored bodies on matters ranging from collective consultation to disability discrimination;
- Advising a civil engineering and construction business on various executive level appointments across the globe and working with local lawyers to ensure compliance with cross border labour laws;
- Negotiating settlement terms with a departing HR Director alleging constructive dismissal and sex discrimination, avoiding an Employment Tribunal claim;
- Advising a group of directors in making a successful claim to the National Insolvency Service for redundancy payments and unpaid wages;
- Advising an employer in the agricultural sector on the devolved requirements of the Agricultural Wages (Wales) Order 2018.
What people say about Sarah - quotes from the current Chambers & Partners legal directory
Sarah Alford advises on the full range of employment law issues, from board and senior executive matters, through to TUPE exercises and tribunal cases. A client says: "I appreciate her ability to listen, her thoroughness and her calmness as well as the accuracy of her advice."