Partners and Senior Management
Nick Parker LLB, LLM
Nick Parker is a Partner, head of our highly regarded Dispute Resolution team, and a civil and commercial mediator.
Ranked as a leading individual in both Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners for Dispute Resolution, Nick has extensive experience in a wide range of civil and commercial litigation disputes, including disputes of a significant value.
Nick regularly advises and acts for clients in contract disputes, warranty claims, public procurement, insurance disputes, shareholder disputes, partnership disputes, restrictive covenant disputes, intellectual property disputes and insolvency disputes. He acts for clients in court and arbitration proceedings.
Nick has been a Partner at Berry Smith since 1996. He holds a Masters degree in Advanced Litigation and sits as a Deputy District Judge. He is also an experienced trainer to legal professionals.
He is also a highly experienced mediator, having mediated several hundred cases across England and Wales in a wide range of civil and commercial disputes and for a variety of dispute values. He enjoys a national reputation for his mediation work and is also ranked in Chambers & Partners for his mediation work.
He accepts mediation appointments directly.
Nick is also a member of the Law Society’s Civil Justice Committee, which reviews and promotes improvements in civil litigation across England and Wales.
- Commercial Litigation
Nick has significant experience in dealing in civil and commercial disputes:
- Represented Nathan Cleverly, former World Champion boxer, in High Court litigation against his former promoter, Frank Warren.
- Advised and acted in various public procurement cases brought against government departments and local authorities challenging and defending the award of contracts following tender processes under the Public Contracts Regulations
- Representing insurance companies in litigation and arbitration proceedings
- Advised and represented a client affected by the fraud at the HBOS Impaired Assets Division in Reading
- A high value technical and contractual dispute in relation to a coal recovery project that resulted in a 10 week High Court trial
- Representation of a company during FCA investigation under the Competition Act 1998, including an extensive electronic disclosure process
- A contract dispute worth in the region of £3 million regarding product liability claim relating to the alleged supply of a high volume of defective goods
- Represented a firm of insolvency practitioners as liquidators of a company in liquidation in a claim against the former directors of the company
- Represented clients in numerous Intellectual Property disputes including patent disputes, design right, copyright and passing off issues including applications for injunctions and damages and proceedings in IPEC
- Numerous insolvency related cases including claims for misfeasance, wrongful and insolvent trading for insolvency practitioners and individuals
- Representing clients in cases brought for their disqualification of directors under the Directors Disqualification Act 1986
- A number of cases against former employees of companies who have set up in competition with their former employer in breach of restrictive covenants or common law duties resulting in injunctive proceedings to enforce contractual provisions and claims for damages
- Numerous partnership and shareholder disputes
What people say about Nick - quotes from the current Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 legal directories
“Clients describe Nick Parker as a "very good and very solutions-based" practitioner. He has significant experience acting on a variety of disputes including money recovery and contentious regulatory issues. He is also noted for his experience as a mediator.”
“Team head Nick Parker has an excellent reputation for handling corporate and commercial litigation including shareholder disputes and also sits as a Deputy District judge on a part-time basis. Parker recently successfully represented Questback in a breach of contract claim brought against a high street bank”
“Nick Parker of Berry Smith LLP routinely acts in mediations arising out of shareholder disputes, professional negligence and intellectual property issues, among other areas. Clients say: “He's professional but approachable, and puts parties at ease very quickly. Nick showed persistence and patience to ensure a settlement was achieved.”