Partners and Senior Management
After a career in industry Iwan Doull retrained as a lawyer and has been a partner in Berry Smith since 2003.
He deals with all aspects of Commercial Litigation, but has a particular specialisation in property related matters and a flourishing practice in Professional Negligence and Contentious Probate matters
Iwan is the only lawyer in Wales recommended in the Legal 500 Independent Guide to the Legal Profession in five different areas of law, which describes him as a "leader in the field" and an "excellent litigator”.
He is also a top ranked lawyer in Chambers & Partners Guide to the Legal Profession which has described him as "First-class", “extremely bright” and, in the 2018 edition, that "he is very smart, savvy, streetwise and you feel very reassured when he is on your side"
Iwan believes that his non legal background enables him to provide more than merely legal advice, as is recognised again in both the Legal 500 and Chambers, which state that he "combines excellent advice with excellent value for money" and is "commercially minded, and straightforward to deal with".
Iwan is a member of the Property Litigation Association, The Compulsory Purchase Association and ACTAPS (the organisation for specialist contentious trust and probate lawyers). He is a regular speaker on all property related matters for the RICS across Wales and at the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Wales’ annual conference.
Iwan is also a board member of the Welsh Cycling Union.
Iwan also sits as a Deputy District Judge in the Civil Courts in Wales and is a fluent Welsh speaker
- Commercial Litigation
- Property and Construction disputes
- Professional Negligence
- Contentious Probate
- Representing a Consortium of Golf Retailers in the Court of Appeal relating to anti-competitive practices by the manufacturer of a major brand of golf products
- Defended Commercial Property Landlord in relation to a claim for proprietary estoppel in the Court of Appeal
- Acted for a development company in a planning dispute in the Court of Appeal in relation to Judicial Review of planning decision for the development of a road side service station and retail park
- Acted for Ultra High Net Worth individual in a contractual dispute in the High Court relating to the purchase of £3.6m of Aston Martin supercars
- Defended a probate claim against an Estate valued at over £30m
- Representing the Welsh Government in First Tier Tribunal CPO claims relating to the major A465 Heads of the Valleys scheme
- Represented Ultra High Net Worth individual in multi-party TCC construction dispute and related claims for professional negligence for development of luxury property in London
- Acted for insurer in multiple related claims for professional negligence against former panel solicitors
What people say about Iwan - quotes from the current Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 legal directories
Iwan Doull has an established commercial disputes practice and remains a popular choice amongst insurance companies. Clients appreciate that his advice is "always factual and straight to the point," and characterise him as a "a very bright individual with a very good grasp of complex matters."
Iwan Doull is widely known for his work in property-related claims. A market commentator says: "He puts clients at ease and explains things clearly and simply. I would certainly recommend his services."
Iwan Doull is described by a source as "strategic, level-headed and commercially minded" He is commended for his wide litigation practice. Recent instructions include acting for Waterstone Estates on a judicial review of a rejected planning application for a roadside service station.
The ‘very able and commercially-minded ‘Iwan Doull also handles more general commercial litigation including representing After-the-Event (ATE) insurance providers in the defence of claims regarding third party costs orders
The 'exceptional' Iwan Doull is 'able to weigh up complex and difficult matters quickly and provides clear and practical advice'. Doull is also noted for his 'excellent and commercial advice' for after-the-event insurers, in claims brought against law firms who negligently advised their insureds.
Benefiting from 'the breadth of talent and expertise of a large firm but with the service and costs of a small one', under the leadership of the 'hugely impressive' Iwan Doull, 'no trust dispute, inheritance claim or Court of Protection dispute is too big or complex for the team to handle'. Doull 'takes strong personal interest in all his cases and has a hugely impressive - almost encyclopaedic - mastery of his brief'
The 'exceptionally talented' Iwan Doull also handles construction disputes as part of his broad-ranging litigation prowess.
Iwan Doull is an 'exceptional talent' who is also praised for his ability 'to quickly weigh up complex and difficult matters and provide clear and practical advice'