Gavin Hoccom LLB (Hons), LLM, PhD
Gavin Hoccom is a Senior Associate in our highly regarded Chambers and Legal 500 rated Dispute Resolution team.
Acting for a diverse range of clients including the Welsh Government, national PLC and SME contractors and developers, as well as local sub-contractors, Gavin specialises in contentious and non-contentious construction law. Gavin advises on claims relating to interim and final accounts payments and valuations, delay, extensions of time and variations, as well as claims for professional negligence against architects, contract administrators and surveyors.
Gavin routinely represents clients in adjudication, arbitration and the Technology and Construction Court.
Gavin also has extensive experience of a wide range of commercial and company litigation with noted expertise in domestic and offshore partnership and shareholder disputes.
- Commercial Litigation
- Shipping and Offshore
- Acting on behalf of an ultra-high net worth individual in a claim against her architect and contract administrator for breach of contract and negligence arising from the refurbishment of a property in St. John’s Wood. It is alleged that the architect and contract administrator failed to act with reasonable care and skill in extending and refurbishing the property, using incorrect plans which planning permission had not been granted. The claim is for damages in excess of £2,500,000.
- Acting on behalf of a County Borough Council in a claim against a national provider of asbestos surveying services arising from the failure of the proposed defendant to provide its services with reasonable care and skill. The costs incurred by the County Borough Council as a consequence of the proposed defendant’s failures are in excess of £1,000,000.
- Acting on behalf of a high net worth individual in a claim against his architect and contract administrator for breach of contract and negligence arising from the refurbishment of an extensive 12th century listed property in Herefordshire. The claim is for damages in excess of £500,000. It is alleged that the contract administrator failed to act with reasonable care and skill in administering the refurbishment of the property, using materials and techniques which were inappropriate given the age of the property.
- Acting on behalf of a regional main contractor in an adjudication against local government for non-payment of an interim account in excess of £500,000 arising from construction works in West Wales.
- Acting on behalf of a national main contractor in an adjudication against a multi-million pound investment fund for unlawful termination of a contract and non-payment of an interim account in excess of £500,000 arising from construction works in London and incorporating a multi-faceted claim for extension of time.
- Acting on behalf of a main contractor headquartered in London and operating nationally in a claim against a developer for payment of a termination account and damages for unlawful termination. The claim is for in excess of £500,000 and has been defended on the basis that the claimant has overvalued the works.
- Acting on behalf of a developer active in the South West and Wales in a number of construction disputes, including the breakdown in its relationship with a main contractor over the construction of a series of residential developments in Cardiff. With a value in excess of £250,000, the issues included the lawfulness of both party’s purported termination of the contracts, the quality of the works which had been undertaken and the value of the said works. The dispute generated 7 Adjudications in a 3-month period, plus 2 sets of proceedings in the Technology and Construction Court.
- Acting on a developer active in the South West and Wales in a dispute with a main contractor over the construction of a residential development in Cardiff. With a value in excess of £250,000, the issues included the lawfulness of both party’s purported termination of the contract, the quality of the works which had been undertaken and the value of the said works. The dispute generated 2 Adjudications in a 1-month period.
- Acting on behalf of local government in the defence of a claim arising from works undertaken to a former local authority home, which are alleged to have caused or contributed to damp in the property. The claim is important as the outcome will have wide-ranging implications for over 100 homeowners to whose properties similar works have been undertaken.
- Acting on behalf of a Plc. main contractor headquartered in London and operating nationally in a claim for payment of a final account against a high new worth individual. The claim was for in excess of £150,000 and the defendant counterclaimed for damages in excess of £350,000 in relation to the cost of remedying purportedly defective works.
- Acting on behalf of a sub-contractor in an adjudication with a main contractor which included a cross claim for damages arising from a repudiatory breach of contract based on fraud.
- Acting on behalf of a corporate group domiciled in Germany and the Netherlands in a cross-border dispute involving a claim against a capital investment fund based in London for €13 million, including an application for a worldwide freezing order against the defendant’s assets.
- Acting on behalf of the former shareholders of a group of companies in a high profile breach of contract dispute with a Plc. bank with quantum valued in excess of £3,000,000.
- Acting on behalf of a multi-jurisdictional provider of banking and finance services domiciled in Denmark in the defence of a claim brought by a company specializing in the development of online payment solutions. The claim is for a sum in excess of £750,000; being the penalty purportedly due under a contract for the provision of software and services to meet a minimum order value.
- Routinely acting on behalf of both Claimant minority shareholders and Defendant companies and majority shareholders in respect of derivative claims and unfair prejudice petitions brought to trial in the High Court pursuant to section 994 of the Companies Act 2006.
- Routinely acting on behalf of existing and former partners of common law and limited liability partnerships of all sizes and throughout a variety of sectors in disputes arising from alleged mismanagement, exclusion from management and the drawing of excessive remuneration.
Shipping and Offshore
- Advising global shipping lines, luxury yacht builders and top 100 UK law firms in respect of the registration requirements of the UK Ship Register and offshore registers as related to new build registrations, changes of ownership, registration of securities and closures of registry.